Golden Visa Portugal
The Portuguese government has created a new law with the aim to attract foreign investment. Golden Residence Permit Programme opened the possibility of achieving residency through: the acquisition of real estate; creating a certain number of jobs or by transferring capital.
Now the holders of a “Golden Residence Permits” may request family regrouping, and gain access to a Portuguese citizenship or a Permanent Residence Permit.
Residence Permit for Investment Activities; who may request?
Third country passport holders who carry out at least one of the following activities (personally or through a company) for a minimum period of five years:
- Real estate acquisition with a minimum value of Five Hundred thousand Euros (500.000€)
- Transfer the minimum of one million Euros (1.000.000€) of capital. Investments in company stocks or shares are included.
- Creation of a minimum of 10 jobs during five years.
Applying for the “Golden Visa” Resident Permit through real estate purchase. What are the necessary documents?
- The presentation of the property transfer deed demonstrating full ownership of real estate with a total minimum value of 500.000€.
- A declaration from a financial institution, authorized to carry out activities in Portugal, stating that a transfer of Five Hundred Thousand Euros (500.000€) or more has been made for the purchase of a property.
- An updated property register certificate or copy of the promissory contract, (legally viable) where is stated the respective entry.
The Property can be purchased as a:
- Private acquisition with a minimum value of Five Hundred thousand Euros (500.000€)
- Acquisition through Co-ownership, the request is that each co-owner invests a minimum of Five Hundred Thousand Euros (500.000€), the transfer deed must be submitted before the renewal request of residency permit.
- Be encumbered starting from a threshold over Five Hundred thousand Euros (500.000€)
How can I request a “Golden Visa” Residence Permit?
You may do it online at www.sef.pt. or in a Portuguese diplomatic post or consulate overseas. If you prefer you can also request it at the central or regional SEF offices (foreigners and borders service).
The holders of a “Golden Visa” Residence Permit are entitled to family regrouping, and if all requests are fulfilled may have access to the Permanent Residence Permit and Portuguese citizenship.
Minimum permanent residence period
In order to renew the residence permit, you may be asked show a proof that in the first year you have spent a minimum of seven days in Portuguese territory. This stay can be consecutively or spaced in time as long it´s done during the first year. In the following two periods of 2 years you should stay a minimum of 14 days in Portugal territory.